Friday, July 30, 2010

Ellen DeGeneres quit American Idol

I just read today that Ellen DeGeneres quit American Idol, after having just been brought on as a judge last year. A lot of people may see this as a negative thing, but I much prefer Ellen not on that show. To me, when she signed onto it last year, I thought she sold out in a way. I'm so glad she's been successful with her talk show, especially after everything she's been through, but I never wanted to see her be made over and branded, and forced to censor herself. I felt that's what American Idol did to her, and why she herself said to the producers that it was a bad fit. You could see it all over her face when you watched her on the show. She looked uncomfortable. I have loved Ellen for years and years. When I used to get home from high school I would turn on the lifetime channel and catch reruns of her old show "Ellen (these friends of mine)". It's still one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. She's the reason, whenever I go to Disney World down in Florida, I visit EPCOT center first to go to the Universe of Energy attraction("Ellen's Energy Adventure" starring her and Bill Nye the Science Guy). For a public speaking presentation I made senior year of high school, I used her stand up routine "The Beginning" as my example of great comedy, and why people need to laugh more. I could quote her material until I'm blue in the face. She's funny without trying hard, or having to resort to being dirty and swearing constantly. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm one of her original fans, not just someone who hopped on the train of liking her now that her name is up there with Oprah and she's doing commercials for American Express and CoverGirl. I feel she's one of the real, genuine, caring people who just so happen to also be deemed a "celebrity." She's humble, she's kind, and she's someone I would easily be friends with if I knew her in person. Leaving American Idol was a good decision, because she's always been too good for that show. Don't get me wrong, I have watched several seasons of American Idol and I'm not saying the show is awful, but Ellen is on a different level. She's just herself, and she doesn't give a shit what people think. I have a lot of faith that even Hollywood can't ruin her.

This is from 2000. Part of her comedy routine for HBO entitled "The Beginning"


And for a prime example of how Ellen's a wonderful person.

No comments:

Post a Comment